- - - - -

Can birds get ringworm?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_cprcheetah_*

Guest_cprcheetah_*
  • Guests
  • thanks

Posted 08 December 2006 - 11:51 AM

UGH! I finally caught it! I work for a vet and we have had ringworm in our adoption cats since we brought in some new ones for adoption in July. We are FINALLY on the mend...we hope. We had over 80 cats/kittens this summer and are finally down to just 20 kittens and 4 adults. Just as we thought we were rid of it, new ones are showing up with it. Anyways I have been VERY VERY careful washing hands, sanitizing etc after working with them, but apparantly it wasn't enough. I have a spot on my neck, and am going to the doctor in the morning to confirm and get some medications. (It's itching like mad!) but I wasn't sure, can I give it to Kermit? I know my dogs and cats are at risk...so no more snuggly loves for a bit :'(, but what about Kermit?

#2 Guest_neo_morpheus_*

Guest_neo_morpheus_*
  • Guests
  • thanks

Posted 08 December 2006 - 01:56 PM

I know roundworm and tapeworm is commen in parrots, I don't know about ringworm.

I would grab some working drops from our local vet store and add to your babies water till you have the all clear. Its always good to contantly worms your birdies anyway.

#3 Guest_cprcheetah_*

Guest_cprcheetah_*
  • Guests
  • thanks

Posted 08 December 2006 - 06:07 PM

neo_morpheus said:

I know roundworm and tapeworm is commen in parrots, I don't know about ringworm.

I would grab some working drops from our local vet store and add to your babies water till you have the all clear. Its always good to contantly worms your birdies anyway.

Thank-you. Ringworm is a fungus not a worm...that's why I was curious about it. I hope not....cause he loves to snuggle up against my neck.

#4 Guest_buddhjie_*

Guest_buddhjie_*
  • Guests
  • thanks

Posted 08 December 2006 - 07:18 PM

there are two kinds of round worms, segmented and unsegmented. segmented round worms belong to phylum annelids, under animal kingdom, it is said that segmented round worms are not harmful. but unsegmented roundworms, that belongs to phylum nematodes,under animal kingdom are dangerous, these worms are parasites of plants and animals, sepecially mammals, they cause very serious diseases in human, animals, and in plants. the most common roundworm(unsegmented) is the ascaris worm. they can cause blockage to intestines and leads to death..
but im sorry i dont know how to prevent these worms, these are the only informations stocked in my brain(i know this, since i was in second year and our science and technology is biology)..
sorry again because these are only the information i can give to you...

#5 Guest_trini_*

Guest_trini_*
  • Guests
  • thanks

Posted 09 December 2006 - 07:06 AM

buddhjie,

Roundworm (Nematodes) are not the same thing as ringworm. Ringworm is actually not a worm but a fungal infection of the skin.

#6 Guest_neo_morpheus_*

Guest_neo_morpheus_*
  • Guests
  • thanks

Posted 09 December 2006 - 07:08 AM

I think they should call RingWorm, Ringungal LOL RingWorm makes it sound like its worms

#7 Guest_buddhjie_*

Guest_buddhjie_*
  • Guests
  • thanks

Posted 09 December 2006 - 10:56 PM

ohhhhh my gosh!!!!!! this is so embarassing!!!! i thought it was ring worm, im sorry i didn't read it well, sorry again for the wrong information :x :o :(......

#8 Guest_liquidspoof_*

Guest_liquidspoof_*
  • Guests
  • thanks

Posted 30 December 2006 - 08:55 AM

There is such a thing as "avian ringworm" but I am not sure it's a fungus like the type you are talking about.

Avian ringworm is not zoonotic so if a bird has it they can't pass it on to any other animal other than birds. I am pretty positive that mammalian ringworm cannot be passed to avians, but I would ask your local vet to be sure. Stay on the safe side and don't handle your bird until you know the definitive answer.